On this week’s show the Humans(Joe, Caleb, & Jason) discuss K-9 bullet proof vests, Alien Nostromo reunion, and Airplanes dropping FISH bombs. Plus, Caleb watched Sword Art Online and Joe asks if 5th edition D&D is still relevant .
Listen live Thursdays from 6pm to 8pm on 103.3 FM KSCU Santa Clara, or live online at http://www.kscu.org/
Download and rate the podcast from itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/robots-attack/id482307785?mt=2
Show Notes for 710/2014
# New Releases
1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth’s dominant species.
Filmed over 12 years with the same cast, Richard Linklater’s Boyhood is a groundbreaking story of growing up as seen through the eyes of a child named Mason (Ellar Coltrane), who literally grows up on screen before our eyes. Starring Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette as Mason’s parents and newcomer Lorelei Linklater as his sister Samantha, Boyhood charts the rocky terrain of childhood like no other film has before and is both a nostalgic time capsule of the recent past and an ode to growing up and parenting.
Paul Maguire (Nicolas Cage) is a respectable businessman and loving father living peaceful life until his violent past comes back to haunt him. When his teenage daughter is taken from their home, Paul rounds up his old crew to help him find her. His search for justice leads Paul down a dark and bloody path of revenge, betrayal and long buried secrets.
1. MouseCraft (PS3/4, Vita, PC)
A puzzle game where players help mice in their relentless quest for cheese by stacking the world’s most famous blocks: Tetrominos. Your goal is to lead a group these mice through a machine to find the cheese at the other end. There are over 50 levels in the campaign mode, and as you play the path and methods of getting to the exits becomes more and more complicated. And if your brain isn’t turned into swiss cheese after going through this machine, MouseCraft includes a fully-featured level editor to design your own stages.
2. One Piece: Unlimited World Red (PS3, Vita, Wii U, 3DS)
Luffy and his crew go wild in One Piece: Unlimited World Red! Witness the strongest pirate alliance as Straw Hat Luffy and Trafalgar Law, a member of the Royal Seven Warlords of the Sea, team up to challenge the diabolical Donquixote Doflamingo, who will be joining the battle for the first time.
3. Another World: 20th Anniversery Edition lands on the PS3/4
4. The Wolf Among Us: Episode 5 – Cry Wolf (360, PS3, PC, ipad)
5. Might & Magic: Duel of Champions – Forgotten Wars (360, PC)
1. Life is Easy – Bright Light Bright Light
The second full-length studio release for the Welsh synth-pop singer Rod Thomas features a duet with Elton John.
2. No Coast – Braid
The first full-length studio release from the emo band in 16 years was produced by Will Yip.
3. Futurology – Manic Street Preachers
The 12th full-length release for the Welsh alternative rock trio was recorded at the same time as 2013’s Rewind the Film and features guest appearances from Cian Ciaran, Green Gartside, Nina Hoss, and Georgia Ruth
4. Redeemer of Souls – Judas Priest
The 17th release for the British metal band led by Rob Halford is its first without founding guitarist K.K. Downing.
5. Wooden Head – The Proper Ornaments
The debut release for the indie pop quartet that includes Veronica Falls’ James Hoare, Max Claps, Daniel Nellis, and Robert Syme was recorded on a reel-to-reel four track.
1. Watermark – Blu/DVD – Water is the one thing that we cannot live without. This film examines our relationship to it, and how it affects the whole world. The film ties together stories from all over the globe with stunning imagery and beautiful camera work.
2. Bad Words – Blu/DVD – A forty year old man finds a loop hole in The Golden Quilll spelling bee rules that will allow him to compete … against eighth graders. While a reporter seeks to uncover the motivation, parents, judges and other contestants are incensed. The man finds an unusual friend in one of the young contestants who seems unfazed by his unorthodox methods and philosophy.
3. The Raid 2 – Blu/DVD – In the wake of the events of the first Raid film, Rama, now has to go undercover. His mission is to link a local mobster to the corruption in the police. But will he be able to keep his personal feelings in check to get the mission done or will his vendetta bring every thing crashing down? – This is getting a fair amount of fan praise as a fantastic action film
4. Maidentrip – DVD – At fourteen years old Laura Dekker accomplished something amazing, she became the youngest person to circumnavigate the world … alone. This film uses footage from Dekker herself as she traveled for two years.
5. Nymphomaniac Vol. 1 & 2 – Blu/DVD – A young woman named, Joe, is found in an alleyway by an kind older gent. While caring for her injuries Joe, a self diagnosed nymphomaniac, tells the strange story of her life, looking for meaning and love. The film is trying to be a frank and artistic look at the passions that drive us in the face of a universe that doesn’t care. Which is a fancy way of saying this is *not* for younger audiences or for those that are offended by graphic sex and/or violence.
* Grayson #1 – Fully out from the shadow of The Bat, Dick Grayson is now doing his own thing, as a secret agent. This is not Robin, this is not Nightwing, this is Grayson.
* Spider-Man 2099 #1 – Miguel is stranded in 2014. But this gives him the chance to Eliminate Alechmax before it becomes the juggernaut that it will become. If only it were that easy. Miguel will have to face The Adjuster who desires to eliminate Miguel forever.
* Star Trek #35 – This brings one of the great Trek villains together with the crew of the original Enterprise. In this six part story Kirk meets Q.
* The Walking Dead #129 – When there seems to be no end to the dead in the streets, naturally people start to get creative in how they deal with them.
### Dark Horse
* Usagi Yojimbo Color Special Artist One-shot – Four classic Usagi stories collected and colored for the first time! Enjoy “Saya”, “Buntori”, “The Artist”, and “Cut the Plum” and a preview of the upcoming Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #1.
1. Smartphones help robots on the International Space Station: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/07/googles-3d-mapping-phones-to-help-robots-on-the-international-space-station
2. RocketSkates let you zip along the sidewalk at a top speed of 12MPH –http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/09/rocketskates/
3. Homestar Runner returns! –http://www.relevantmagazine.com/slices/important-homestar-runner-returning
5. Airplane drops fish bombs to repopulate lake –http://sploid.gizmodo.com/plane-aerial-drops-a-bomb-of-fish-to-restock-a-lake-1602748721/+caseychan
6. Earth like eco-planet isn’t real –http://boingboing.net/2014/07/07/once-hyped-planet-does-not-exi.html
7. K-9 units get their own bullet proof vests!http://abc7news.com/pets/san-francisco-police-dogs-get-new-bullet-proof-vests/173273/
8. New materials that are light & strong –http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/19/mit-3d-printed-ultra-lightweight-materials/
9. The crew of the Nostromo reunites! –https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/alien–isolation-lures-back-original-alien-cast-members-183137096.html
Caleb watches Sword Art Online: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_Art_Online
Joe asks the burning question: in the wake of 5th edition D&D, is D&D still relevant? http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/9/5882143/roll-for-initiative-understanding-the-next-edition-of-dungeons-dragons