On this week’s show the Humans(Joe, Caleb, & Jason) discuss bridging human and robot life, breeding bald chickens, Ant-Man’s villain(?), and warrants for phone searches. Plus, Joe blabs about Watch Dogs and Edge of Tomorrow while Caleb cries over Aereo’s death.
Listen live Thursdays from 6pm to 8pm on 103.3 FM KSCU Santa Clara, or live online at http://www.kscu.org/
Download and rate the podcast from itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/robots-attack/id482307785?mt=2
Show Notes for 6/26/2014
# New Releases
In a future where a failed global-warming experiment kills off most life on the planet, a class system evolves aboard the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine.
2. They Came Together
Joel (Paul Rudd), a candy company executive, threatens to close down Molly’s (Amy Poehler) mom-and-pop candy store, but the unlikely pair begin to fall in love.
3. Begin Again
Gretta (Keira Knightley) and her long-time boyfriend Dave (Adam Levine) are college sweethearts and songwriting partners who decamp for New York when he lands a deal with a major label. But the trappings of his new-found fame soon tempt Dave to stray, and a reeling, lovelorn Gretta is left on her own.
4. Transformers: Age Of Extinction
1. Valiant Hearts: The Great War (360/x1, ps3/ps4, pc)
The story of crossed destinies and a broken love in a world torn apart. All of them will try to survive the horror of the trenches following their faithful canine companion. In Valiant Hearts: The Great War, the lives of all these characters are inextricably drawn together over the course of the game. Friendship, love, sacrifice, and tragedy befall each one as they help each other to retain their humanity against the horrors of war.
3. Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark (360/x1,ps3/4,wii u,pc)
For the first time ever, fight your way through both Earth and Cybertron universes in an unforgettable battle to secure the Dark Spark. Play the expanded four-player co-op online escalation mode with new upgradeable defenses and challenging Power Foes. The new leveling system spans campaign and escalation, allowing players to unlock rewards that will aid progression in both modes.
4. GRID Autosport (360, ps3, pc)
It’s all about the teams, the rivals and the race as you become a driver for hire, specializing in your favorite disciplines or conquering them all in an intense world of professional motorsport. GRID Autosport features over 100 routes across 22 incredible locations, the return of in-car view, authentic handling and the world’s most exciting contemporary and classic high-performance racing cars.
5. PVZ: Garden Warfare (PC)
6. Farming Simulator 14 (vita, 3ds)
With a new refined look and twice the available equipment as its predecessor, Farming Simulator 14 gives you control of an extensive range of authentic farm machines
1.While(1<2) – Deadmau5
The latest release for Joel Thomas Zimmerman as the mouse head -wearing Deadmau5 is a 25-track double LP featuring a How To Destroy Angels and Nine Inch Nails remix.
2. Once More ‘Round the Sun – Mastodon
The sixth full-length release for the Grammy-nominated hard rock quartet was produced by Nick Raskulinecz.
3. Mexico – GusGus
The ninth full-length release [and its third for Kompakt] for the Icelandic electronic quartet includes influences from synth pop, trance and UK garage music.
4. Horse Meat Disco IV – Horse Meat Disco
This is the fourth compilation of mixes by James Hillard, Luke Howard, Severino Panzetta, and Jim Stanton
5. X – Ed Sheeran
The second full-length release for the British singer-songwriter features collaborations and production from Benny Blanco, Johnny McDaid, Pharrell Williams, and Rick Rubin.
1. 300: Rise of an Empire – Blu/DVD – A companion to the original 300, this film tells the story of what the Ateanian army was doing while the Spartans were standing up to the mighty Persian army. In short they were kicking butt and taking names at sea. Themistocles, the commander of the Athenian Navy, takes on Artemisia, who commands Xerxes armada. This story also seeks to further explain Xerxes’ desire to conquer Greece.
2. Enemy – Blu/DVD – When a university professor in the midst of a failing relationship spots his “twin” in a film he tracks him down. The result is a rather complex, and methodical twisting of lives with lots of symbolism. In short it’s a weird movie, that is getting some critical acclaim.
3. Pandora’s Promise – DVD – A documentary looking into the issue of nuclear power. It takes a more hopeful look at the future of this controversial power solution, your opinions may vary.
4. Ranma 1/2 Set 2 – Blu/DVD – This stalwart anime and manga classic is back and in Blu-ray! This set introduces the violent and yet likable Shampoo, a member of a secret clan of Chinese amazons who wants to marry boy-type Ranma and DESTROY girl-type Ranma, and Mousse, weapon master desperately in love with Shampoo, to the already raucous crew of characters. Oh and lest I forget Genma and Soun’s old master Happosai also returns! Naturally hijinks ensue.
* Catwoman #32 – Turns out Salina wasn’t in The Race of Outlaws _just_ for herself, shocking! But who is is working for?
* Wolverine #9 – The title of this story is “Three Months to Die”, which means things can’t be looking good for our favorite grumpy Canadian.
* Cartoon Network Super Secret Crisis War #1 – Aku has gathered the greatest villains of the Cartoon Network to finally put an end to all this do gooding. What will happen with the worlds of The Powerpuff Girls, Ben 10, Samurai Jack, Dexter’s Lab, and … Ed, Edd, and Eddie(?) collide? (to be read the style of Moooooojo JoJo)
* Trees #2 – At three seemingly unrelated locations, the Arctic, an Italian coast town, and a city in China the future is being written, and the keys to the mystery lie deep in history.
### Dark Horse
* Dream Thief Escape #1 – A follow up to the acclaimed miniseries. This story follows John Lincoln, who when he sleeps is possessed by an avenging spirit, making his body an instrument of vengeance.
1. Oculus VR to acquire an Xbox design team: http://www.ign.com/articles/
2. Angelica Lim helping bridge human and robot life –http://makezine.com/2014/06/26/angelica-lim-works-at-the-intersection-of-functional-and-social-robots/
3. There’s a Plan to Breed Bald Chickens That Can Survive Global Warming http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/gizmodo/full/~3/5sOPSMNSxbk/theres-a-plan-to-breed-bald-chickens-that-can-survive-g-1596568559
4. The new Predator is a sequel not a reboot http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/06/26/shane-blacks-predator-will-be-a-sequel-not-a-reboot
5. ‘Pacific Rim 2’ is coming in 2017 http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/26/5847524/pacific-rim-2-is-coming-in-2017
6. Privacy win phone searches now need a warrant –http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/06/25/supreme-court-requires-warrants-for-cell-phone-searches-on-arrest/
7. Yellowjacket the bad guy in Ant-Man?http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/06/19/rumor-claims-to-unmask-ant-man-movie-villains
8. Netflix’s first original anime series ‘Knights of Sidonia’ debuts July 4th http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/26/5846280/knights-of-sidonia-debuts-july-4-netflix
9. More info about Nathan Fillion in Guardians of the Galaxy –http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Nathan-Fillion-Guardians-Galaxy-Cameo-Revealed-43605.html
Caleb gives a few of his thoughts on E3
Joe saw Edge of Tomorrow: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1631867/
Joe played Watch Dogs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Dogs
Aereo … we barely knew you – http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/andy-ihnatko-aereo-ruling/