On this week’s show the Humans (Joe, Caleb, and Jason) discuss Russia’s fear of Pokemon Go, CRISPR vs cancer, Chernobyl goes solar, and alcoholic Lemars? Plus, Caleb breaks down the Suicide Squad and so much more!
Listen live Mondays from 7pm to 9pm on 103.3 FM KSCU Santa Clara, or live online at http://www.kscu.org/
- One last thing from SDCC for the creative peeps.
- Semi Exciting weekend, had a cool family reunion and found out where our nearest ER is
- Terminator: Genysis was viewed
Caleb’s Corner: Who is the Suicide Squad?
- Harley Quinn – Once a promising psychiatrist, now the unstable but enraptured love of The Joker. She was introduced as a character inBatman: the Animated Series and quickly rose in fan popularity to become a staple of the DCU’s deep bench of anti-heroes.
- Deadshot – Another villain with a long history in the DCU, he started out wanting to take over the Gotham underworld, but instead turned his vast skills with firearms to earn money, lots of money. Depending on the writer he varies between more and less anti-hero.
- Killer Croc – A classic Batman villain, he is a man with a degenerative skin disorder which gives him a scaly appearance. In his later versions he is shown as becoming increasingly bestial and his appearance more like his name sake.
- Boomerang – Also often known as “Captain Boomerang” this classic villain of The Flash has been a core member of the Suicide Squad for many incarnations. He is known for his use of the boomerang (shocking, no?) as a deadly weapon.
- Enchantress / June Moone) – This character is not to be confused with the sultry villain and sometimes lover of Thor. The character is literally of two minds; on one hand she is June Moone, an adventurer and the other is an ancient spiritual being. Together they wield vast magical power.
- Slipknot) – A chemist who created a bonding agent that makes common rope nearly indestructible. His path to villain hood is somewhat murky, as his origin goes deep in DCU history, but suffice to say now he turns his talent for ropes and his willingness to kill to profitable ends, not unlike Deadshot.
- El Diablo) – There is a long history of this character going back to old west. This current incarnation of this minor spirit of vengeance is Chato Santana, a former gang member who can control and summon fire. He is one of the more virtuous members as his goal is to do penance for his crimes.
- Katana) – She took up the mantle of Katana to avenge the murder of her husband. She carries an ancient pair of swords, one is well crafted but normal, the other is Soultaker, a cursed sword that will sometimes steal the soul of its victim. Katana is the bodyguard of Rick Flag and helps keep the other villains in check.
- Rick Flag – The least villainous of the team. He is the in-the-field hand of Amanda Waller. The comic history of the character is that Rick Flag Sr. was part of the original WWII Suicide Squadron, and a Flag has been part of the squad since.
- Amanda Waller – While not a meta or super herself, Amanda Waller is a force to be reckoned with. She is ambitious, a skillful tactition, ruthless, and had deep secrets on and connections to governmental agencies. She is often portrayed as antagonist to the DCU heroes, but her goals are more noble than one might expect. She wants to protect the earth and more importantly the people. This doesn’t mean she’s sentimental, she will sacrifice many to get the job done, so that most can be safe.
- Nine Lives – Tom Brand (Kevin Spacey) is a daredevil billionaire at the top of his game. His company is nearing completion on the tallest skyscraper in the northern hemisphere. But Tom’s workaholic lifestyle has disconnected him from his family, particularly his wife Lara (Jennifer Garner) and daughter Rebecca (Malina Weissman). Rebecca’s 11th birthday is here, and she wants a cat. Tom hates cats but needs a gift. He finds a mystical pet store where the owner, Felix Perkins (Christopher Walken), presents him with a tomcat named Mr. Fuzzypants. En route to his daughter’s party, Tom has a terrible accident. When he wakes he discovers he is trapped in the body of the cat. Adopted by his own family, he begins to experience his life through a new perspective. In order to return to his family as the husband and father they deserve, Tom will have to learn why he has been placed in this peculiar situation.
- Suicide Squad – U.S. intelligence officer Amanda Waller has determined only a secretly convened group of disparate, despicable individuals with next to nothing to lose will do. However, once they realize they weren’t picked to succeed but chosen for their patent culpability when they inevitably fail, will the Suicide Squad resolve to die trying, or decide it’s every man for himself?
- Five Nights in Maine – A young widower (David Oyelowo), reeling from the tragic loss of his wife, travels to rural Maine to seek answers from his cancer-stricken, estranged mother-in-law (Dianne Wiest).
- Little Men – Jake (Theo Taplitz) is a quiet, sensitive middle schooler with dreams of being an artist. He meets the affably brash Tony (Michael Barbieri) at his grandfather’s funeral, and the unlikely pair soon hit it off. The budding friendship is put at risk, however, when a rent dispute between Jake’s father, Brian (Greg Kinnear), and Tony’s mother, Leonor (Paulina Garcia), threatens to become contentious.
- Boy King by Wild Beasts – The fifth full-length release for the British indie rock band was produced by John Congleton.
- Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not by Dinosaur Jr. – The 11th full-length release for the rock trio features nine songs written by J. Mascis and two by Lou Barlow.
- Oddments of the Gamble by Nonkeen – The second full-length release from the trio that includes Nils Frahm, Frederic Gmeiner and Sebastian Singwald features more tracks made from their early 1990s four-track recordings.
- Batman: The Telltale Series – Unknown Release Date – PS4, XONE, X360, PS3, PC, MAC, IOS
- BATTLESHIP – Coming Aug 2, 2016 – XONE
- Overcooked – Coming Aug 2, 2016 – PC, XONE, PS4
(Titles are available in both disk formats unless otherwise stated)
- April and the Extraordinary World – In an alternate reality the power of the electron was never harnesed and the world still runs on the might of coal. This visually rich animated feature of French/Belgian origin is dubbed and subed in English with an excellent cast.
- Highrise – The latest film from Ben Wheatley is based on a novel by J.G. Ballard about class struggle within a single, huge, apartment building. While it has a strong cast, some are more forgiving of it’s ambition than it’s final product.
- Keanu – The first feature for the Key and Peele duo! Two cousins go undercover as drug dealers to rescue their beloved cat, Keanu. Some have critiqued it as not as good as their show, but all seem to find it entertaining.
- The Killing Joke – One of the more challenging stories from the Batman universe is brought to chilling life by the exellent animation and voice team at DC/Warner Brothers. Reminder – this story is rated R, as in Really not for kids.
- Suicide Squad: Rebirth #1 – While Rick Flag has been an honored hero, his current state is prisoner in a mysterious location. But his long isolation has come to an end. Amanda Waller is offering him an escape from his cell, if he will take on the most dangerous mission ever, keep the newly formed Suicide Squad alive.
- Marvel Tsum Tsum #1 – While on their way to The Collector, a crate of the adorable little Tsum Tums crashes into New York. Now a group of teens will find out there is more to these little creatures than copious amounts of cute.
- Lady Killer 2 #1 – Well, our favorite everyday housewife assassin has moved to Florida. Life seems the usual mix of mundane and murderous. But this latest hit may have further reach than Ms. Schuller anticipated.
- The Walking Dead #157- So begins a new story arc! The coming war is now here! Rick has risked everything, will it crumble before his eyes or rise in victorious light? Also is he willing to pay the price?
- Transformers #55 – The war for earth comes to a head! The future of life on this rock is in hot dispute as giant robots vie for control!
Wow Cool Recommends!
- No new recommendations this week.
- Nectartini? This Little Lemur Has a Taste for Alcohol
- NO MAN’S SKY WON’T REQUIRE PLAYSTATION PLUS TO PLAY ONLINE
- This Day in History
- In the not to distant future some where on Netflix
- The SpaceX team is going to try to land three rockets!
- First CRISPR human trial takes on cancer